Hey guys! How are you all doing? I have some exciting news! Zach got his visa for Lebanon and will be leaving on Saturday. Please keep him in your prayers (and me too), we can’t believe this is real!
Yesterday was also the first day of National Nutrition Month. I handed out samples (sorry, forgot to snap a pic:/) of Greek Quinoa Super Food Salad! See the recipe below and try it yourself at home!
I was having a little bit of a hard time yesterday after realizing that our life was about to drastically change. I stopped by Starbucks for a plain latte – I was feeling like Donna and Tom in Parks N Rec, “treat yo self.”
The title of this post is a new recipe, named by Zach. He came home yesterday, looked at the plate that I had made up for him and said, “hmmm, are these nachos with a twist?” And so we have our recipe name! A couple things about us and nachos. There is this place close to where we live, La Palapa, where they make THE BEST nachos (see pic below). They make their own tortilla chips, add on shredded chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, cheese, guac, queso fresco, and more. While this isn’t the best picture, trust me, they are the best nachos that I have ever had. They have also made Zach and I hungry for a batch of nachos a couple times a month.
I have fooled around with my own nacho recipe and finally landed on something that was both delicious and dietitian approved. Instead of using all tortilla chips (loads of sodium and the calories get pretty high too), I used 1/4 tortilla chips and 3/4 mini sweet bell pepper. Pair with a square of cornbread and 1/2 a plate-full of salad and you have a rounded out meal with 3 servings of vegetables! Here is the perfected recipe! An original!
Nachos with a Twist
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 lb ground turkey (can easily substitute black beans for vegetarian protein)
- 1 packed low-sodium, no msg taco seasoning
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 5 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 21 mini sweet bell peppers, I used an entire package from Aldi, sliced in half
- 10-12 tortilla chips, I used the dipper type
- Brown turkey in a skillet. Add taco seasoning with 1/2 cup water, stir until mixed in and keep on low heat until water has absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and lay out peppers and tortilla chips.
- Place a 1 tsp of quinoa in each pepper half and chip.
- Do the same with the ground turkey, distribute evenly in each pepper or chip.
- Spread tomatoes, mushrooms, and red onion over the nachos, put cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and all ingredients are warm.
Calories: 387 – Carbohydrates: 22 grams – Total Fat: 14.6 grams – Protein: 38.6 grams
We paired our nachos with a square of cornbread and half a plate of salad (tomatoes, red onion, goat cheese, Italian dressing).
Greek Grain Super Food Salad
Makes 1 serving
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/8 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped kale
- 1/8 cup roasted red pepper strips
- 1/8 cup sliced black olives
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/8 cup diced cauliflower florets
- 1/8 cup diced green peppers
- 2 Tbsp Greek dressing
- 1 Tbsp Feta cheese
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions and chop vegetables.
- Mix dressing with feta cheese
- Combine quinoa, vegetables, and dressing mix in bowl.
- Top with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Calories: 383 – Total Fat: 17 grams – Carbohydrates: 48 grams – Protein: 7 grams
It was another busy day for the two of us! T-minus 2 days until Zach ships out! (sob!) I have been taking my workouts this week a bit more loosely, getting them in when I have time and making sure I am at home 100% of the time when Zach is also there. Tonight we are making his favorite burgers as one of the last meals that he will have in our Pittsburgh home. Recipe to come!